Organizations for Horror Writers
- American Society of Journalists and Authors - Nation's leading organization of independent nonfiction writers
- British Fantasy Society - Promotes and enjoys the genres of fantasy, science fiction and horror in all its forms; has newsletter and other publications; awards the British Fantasy Award
- Garden State Horror Writers-A New Jersey group with a newsletter and interesting guests at their meetings
- Horror Writers Association-Thelargest organization for horror writers. Awards the Bram Stoker Awards
- Horror Writers Association/UK Chapter
- International Horror Guild - An organization that's not exactly organized -- anyone can participate by recommending outstanding works of dark/horror fiction. Awards a juried award in many categories
- Interstitial Arts/Artists Without Borders - Group of literary, visual,
musical, and performance artists formed for the purpose of creating and promoting Interstitial Art. ("Art made in the interstices between
genres and categories.")
- Mid-Atlantic Horror Organization - Organization for horror professionals in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington, DC
- Mystery Writers of America - Organization for mystery writers and other professionals in the mystery field. MWA also watches developments in legislation and tax law, sponsors symposia and mystery conferences, presents the Edgar Awards, and provides information for mystery writers
- National Writers Union - The "union" for freelance writers working in U.S. markets
- Novelists Inc. - Serves the needs of multi-published authors of popular fiction & strive to better the status of fiction writers
- Romance Writers of America - Largest organization of genre writers; provides networking and support to individuals seriously pursuing a career in romance fiction
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) - Much of the HWA is based on this this organization and much of the help on their site is applicable for horrorists or any other writer. Publishes a quarterly bulletin and awards the Nebulas.
- Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators - Dedicated to serving the people who write, illustrate, or share a vital interest in childrenšs literature
- Western Writers of America - Promotes the literature of the American West and bestows the Spur Awards for distinguished writing in the western field.
- Writers Guild (West) - Represents 8,000 professional film, television, and interactive game writers.
back to top
back to top
Market Information for Horror Writers
- darkmarkets.com-Online guide to markets for Horror writers. Also has newsletter.
- Gila Queen's Guide to Markets-Kathryn Ptacek's definitive market guide. Lists only paying markets; a must for the serious writer.
- Hellnotes-Weekly e-newsletter for horror writers; offers markets from Kathy Ptacek.
- Paula Fleming's Market List-Lists print & e-markets, anthos and contests. (free)
- Ralan.com-Ralan Conley, a Danish writer, uses his Web site to list personal market response times, paying speculative fiction markets and non-paying markets as well as other useful info. (free)
- SpeFicMe! - Bi-monthly, e-mail market newsletter for science fiction, fantasy and horror writers. (free)
- Speculations-A magazine for writers who wish to break into or increase their presence within SF/F/H or other speculative genres. Now available only by e-mail, Speculations has very helpful articles and columns, accurate and timely market info. Although it costs to subscribe to Speculations, the Web site has a wealth of free info.
- Spicy Green Iguana- An online guide to speculative fiction magazines. (free)
- Web of Horror Market Info- A guideline to guidelines.
- Write Market Webzine-Offers markets and reviews of magazine, plus lots more
back to top
Copyright © 2003 by Paula Guran All Rights Reserved.